Website URL:

General guidance and customs information

General guidance for hauliers transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU.

Official UK government advice

National ID Cards no longer valid for UK entry (From 1st October 2021)

From the 1 October 2021, changes to government legislation will mean that most EU, EEA and Swiss nationals can only travel to the UK using a valid passport, unless they have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 or otherwise have protected rights under the Citizens' Rights Agreements.

ID cards will no longer be accepted as a valid travel document and it will not be possible to enter the UK using one.

Transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU from 1st January 2021

Exports from UK > Imports into France & Spain

Hauliers and commercial drivers: You will need new documents to transport goods into the EU after Brexit

All vehicles presented for shipment must have a Movement Reference Number (MRN) for each consignment. The MRN is the proof that the import/export goods have been declared in the customs system. Drivers should have been provided with this by the exporter or their agent. A bar code will have been provided, which must be scanned at check-in. The only exceptions are for empty vehicles, ATA, TIR or postal goods. Vehicles carrying goods that will be presented to BIP (SIVEP in France) for clearance will not need a separate MRN, but will need to make this sanitary declaration a minimum of 48 hours in advance. Vehicles presented for shipment without the required MRN will not be permitted to ship.

Additionally, a Safety and Security Declaration must be logged with customs for all consignments. Brittany Ferries must be satisfied that this requirement has been met before loading will be authorised.

Please note that for imports of Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) goods into France, original health certificates must be presented to SIVEP on arrival. Failure to do so will result in long delays.

Imports into UK > Exports from France or Spain

All goods leaving the EU require a customs declaration to be made and whilst we understand that UK's HMRC is not proposing to make checks at the UK border until January 2022, liability will nonetheless exist in respect of making the proper declarations. Brittany Ferries will need to have a reasonable belief that such declarations have been made. The requirement for a Safety and Security declaration has been deferred for the first 18 months after Brexit.

What do international road hauliers need from January 2021?

What UK goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage from 1 January 2021

Customs Information

Information regarding the location of Customs Agents can be found by visiting the following link:

Armoric Freight

T +44 1752 338 698 


T +44 1772 368 002 


Paula Iturbe: +34 747 785 348

Sira Aranguren Lozano 

T +34 94 424 22 88 / +34 616 42 94 44

Appoint someone to deal with customs on your behalf

Return your rejected exports from the EU from 01 January 2021