Website URL:

How will Brexit affect me?

Brexit preparations

What information should I complete before travelling?

Brittany Ferries have produced a User Guide for Hauliers to support completing our Truck and Trace form. Download these guides below:

Guidance for Hauliers

Special Loads travelling to Portsmouth Port

From the 1st January Portsmouth Port will be operating a traffic management system to avoid disruption at the port. If you are a 'special load' you are permitted to travel directly to the port, provided they are notified in advance.

Special loads are defined as: abnormal loads, live animals/fish/shellfish, and fresh fish/shellfish.

Notifications should be forwarded to the duty Traffic Supervisor via email at 12-24 hours before arrival at the port, using the document below:

Hauliers will be able to get a Goods Movement Reference (GMR) from 23 December 2020

From Wednesday, 23 December 2020, hauliers registered to use the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) will be able to get a Goods Movement Reference (GMR). 

Further information, including direct links to detailed GMR guidance and the start of the application process, will be circulated from 11:00 on 23 December 2020. 

From 1 January 2021 you will need to get a GMR to move goods from:

  • The EU to Great Britain (for transit movements only)
  • Great Britain to Northern Ireland

You may also need a GMR to move goods from Northern Ireland to Great Britain (for example for transit movements) 

Carriers will require hauliers to give them the reference generated by a GMR when they arrive to use the crossings on these routes. This applies even for empty vehicles making a crossing.

Each GMR contains details for a single crossing and can be used only once.

It has been possible to register for the GVMS since 8 December 2020.  If you haven't already registered, click here to be taken to the GVMS registration page.

Detailed guidance to support your GVMS registration has also been published.  Click here to access this GVMS guidance.

From 1 January 2021, the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) will be introduced.

The Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) will:

  • Link declaration references together. This means the person moving goods only needs to present one reference at the frontier to prove that their goods have pre-lodged declarations.
  • Link the movement of goods to declarations, meaning they can be automatically arrived and departed in HMRC systems in near-real-time.
  • Notify customers whether their inbound goods have been successfully cleared in HMRC systems by the time they arrive in the UK.

At border locations using the GVMS to control goods, pre-lodged declaration references will need to be linked together within a single Goods Movement Reference (GMR).

Since 8 December 2020, hauliers have been able to register to use the GVMS:

  • Before you can access the service, you will need a Government Gateway user ID and password.  If you don't already have one, you can register for a Government Gateway account at any time
  • You will also need an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number starting with GB.  You may already have a GB EORI number.  If you don't, you can apply for one now.

Further information

  • EU>GB Haulier Webinar 1  - available on YouTube Link here
  • GB>NI GVMS Haulier Webinar 1 - available on YouTube Link here
  • Haulier Handbook available on Link here
  • GVMS End to End Service Guide - Link here

GVMS API Tech Specs - Link here

Transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU from 1st January 2021

Exports from UK > Imports into France & Spain:

Hauliers and commercial drivers: You will need new documents to transport goods into the EU after Brexit

All vehicles presented for shipment must have a Movement Reference Number (MRN) for each consignment. The MRN is the proof that the import/export goods have been declared in the customs system. Drivers should have been provided with this by the exporter or their agent. A bar code will have been provided, which must be scanned at check-in. The only exceptions are for empty vehicles, ATA, TIR or postal goods. Vehicles carrying goods that will be presented to BIP (SIVEP in France) for clearance will not need a separate MRN, but will need to make this sanitary declaration a minimum of 48 hours in advance. Vehicles presented for shipment without the required MRN will not be permitted to ship.

Additionally, a Safety and Security Declaration must be logged with customs for all consignments. Brittany Ferries must be satisfied that this requirement has been met before loading will be authorised.

Imports into UK > Exports from France or Spain:

All goods leaving the EU require a customs declaration to be made and whilst we understand that UK's HMRC is not proposing to make checks at the UK border, liability will nonetheless exist in respect of making the proper declarations. Brittany Ferries will need to have a reasonable belief that such declarations have been made. The requirement for a Safety and Security declaration has been deferred for the first six months after Brexit.

What do international road hauliers need from January 2021?

What UK goods vehicle operators need to do to carry out international road haulage from 1 January 2021:

Customs Information:

Information regarding the location of Customs Agents can be found by visiting the following link:

Paula Iturbe: +34 747 785 348

Sira Aranguren Lozano 
T +34 94 424 22 88 / +34 616 42 94 44

Appoint someone to deal with customs on your behalf:

Return your rejected exports from the EU from 01 January 2021:

Horse Transportation:

Horse Passport issuing organisations:

Export Horses & Ponies from 01 January 2021:

Animal and Animal Product Transportation:

Importing animals - animal products, food & feed:

Exporting animals, animal products to the EU from 01 January 2021:

Trading & moving endangered species protected by Cites from 01 January 2021:

Register for free Webinar - Guidence for exporters of animals and products of animal origin.

Guidance for hatching eggs & chicks from 01 January 2020:

Fish and Live Aquatic Animal Transportation:

Export fish to the EU from 1 January 2021

Importing & exporting live acquatic animals from 01 January 2021:

For any further information: